Saturday, December 16, 2006

I stood in Books-A-Million earlier today, staring at the paperback books in the Sci-Fi/Fantasy section.
There were a few cycles of books that I'd started and was waiting for the conclusion. There were a lot more that I had read (in some cases 20+ books) to completion.
I was suddenly overcome with questions.
Why would I spend so much time reading "crap" fiction? What is the appeal?
I was too distracted by the questions and my eventual conclusion to make a purchase.
Of course they are escapist to an extent. Themes are universal, but the places both technological and fantastic are about as far removed from real life as a person can get.
And I've been drawn to Sci-Fi, or what I like to call "Speculative Fiction" especially intensely lately because, to be blunt, 2006 has sucked.
As most of you know, Shana has been sick since last July/August with little in the way of relief.
I had a crappy job that ended in an income-free month while the IRS was threatening us over stuff we may or may not owe from 2003. We paid anyway. Visa is less scary than Uncle Sam.
And Thursday was without a doubt the worst day of my life.
The thing I need about Speculative Fiction is a sense of optimism. Sometimes the future is dark and sometimes it is idyllic. Whatever the case, it is different and on some level hopeful.
My own attempt (the unedited NaNoWriMo effort) is available here if anyone is interested.
The future has to be something to look forward to.
I, personally, have to believe that every day has the potential to be better than the last.

No comments: