Thursday, July 31, 2008

Defying my job description

After losing our "War Room" to some erroneously scheduled SharePoint training class on Tuesday (and the idea that our project can lose an entire "War Room" does not speak well of our conflict resolution skills), we were back in our space yesterday to dig through some issue logs.
I overhead someone mention a two minute time out setting on a webserver login with the note that it would be reviewed on Monday by the consultants.
Rather than wait, I logged in myself, navigated to the 'Settings' page, found the area tagged 'Time Out', and changed the number 120 (presumably seconds) to 1200.
There. The whole change, including connecting to the interface and logging in, took about forty seconds.
Then I told the guy who had been talking about the issue.
He was offended that the problem had been in an "open" state for thirteen days. He wasn't upset with me, since no one tells me about the issues because fixing things isn't what I do, but rather at the idea that he had been addressing the issue twice a day in meetings for almost two weeks and the solution was less than a minute spent picking around a linux machine by someone who was just curious and a little bored.
So I fixed something. This is nice, and as a bonus repays the karma debt incurred during troubleshooting another hastily deployed application.
This program logs user settings at logon to a data file, applicationname.DAT.
When one of us uses it, it works just fine, but users that drag over settings from the old servers say it doesn't work.
One of my coworkers noticed that there was more information in the files from the other users, in some cases twice as much.
"This user's DAT file is twice as big as mine."
"My DAT doesn't have the same functionality as his DAT because my DAT is smaller."
"If I had access to a DAT that size, I could probably get better results."
My contribution: Giggling
"You know," I offered, "I think I got an email about an herbal supplement that might help."

The question for today, dear internet, is one which constantly tugs at the back of my mind.
Should I go to law school?
I could get a tiny bit of tuition reimbursement from my employer in exchange for three years of indentured servitude, or I could just take out a loan. Columbia traffic makes evening classes possible, if I can find a suitable schedule.
Most importantly, let's say I gather a degree and pass the exam . . . Would you trust me as your IT Lawyer?
Think it over and let me know. Meanwhile, I'll find some adorable kitten pictures to share later.

-G

No comments: