Thursday, March 19, 2009

Parts of Speech

We got a directive from someone high up enough that I've never actually seen him.
This directive sets one of our technical definitions as policy.
The problem I have is that the definition is wrong.
I've been instructed to communicate using the new definition, but since I know it to be false I've pretty much been told to spread misinformation.
Don't get me wrong. Spreading misinformation is not something I have an issue with. We do that to users all the time in order to prevent panic. The problem is that I've been asked to knowingly be wrong.
The fact that this policy came in PDF format complicates this even more, since PDF documentation is the I.T. equivalent of chiseling policy into stone.
The PDF in question, and the definition it relates, comes from some company selling licenses based on database instance counts. While a clustered database is, in every sense of the word, one database, they see it as two and require licenses on both.
They can set up their licensing however they like, but it doesn't change an industry standard definition.
I will not be wrong on someone else's orders.
The people that noticed this error (both of us) did quite a bot of flailing and whining before changing the subject intentionally.
Unfortunately, that landed us in the middle of a work discussion which later progressed into our plans to do more work over the weekend.
It was then that we cranked out a document defining "Work" as a noun or proper noun place name. The use of "Work" as a verb was left out intentionally and seen as having little value.
Saved as a PDF on our documentation store, this definition is now official.

No comments: