Thursday, November 02, 2006

4,832 words for Day One of NaNoWriMo, people. 4,832 words.
I started the day using a cut-and-paste word counter , but then I discovered that a word count function is built into the Google Online Word Processor.
I also learned early on that descriptive passages are to be embraced and that adjectives are my little friends. Oh, how I love those adjectives.
Look! 50 tools to increase your writing skill!
Yesterday morning a fiber card failed, instantly plunging our corporate office into a connectivity-free zone.
There was no internet, no email, no network shares and no IP phone.
Since I have nothing to do with the communications equipment, I reveled in the freedom.
A weird thing happened as a side-effect of the outage. People talked.
Seriously. They wandered to the other side of the cube wall and just talked.
I spoke with the guy that sits on the back corner of my cube block about digital photography. We discussed brands and models of cameras, memory formats and WiFi cards that drop recently taken photos directly to a network share.
Neither of us uses a digital camera for work at all.
After the part was replaced, everyone shuffled back to their cubicle and silence took over the office again.
Plans for today include refining our monitoring solution and slogging through an application with no support or documentation to make it do something it was never designed to do.
I may also wander over to another cubicle to chat at some point.

7 comments:

Pamela Moore said...

Nice word count! Keep building your cushion. I used tricks from No Plot, No Problem! like listing items in a series, leaving out hyphens and splitting up words like "toejam" into two words even though they can function as compound words.

Anonymous said...

Sheesh. And I was feeling good about my current 4265. I guess it's time to start on the chapter about the second day of class.

I'm blaming your inflated count on the excessive caffeine in your system. ;)

Have you signed up for the challenge to beat the state of Maryland?

K

Garrick said...

I haven't signed up for that. The NaNoWriMo site was horribly slow last night.

I don't know if I'd call Maryland a challenge . . .;)

Anonymous said...

They were #1 in the WORLD last year.

Apparently, there really IS nothing to do in Maryland.

That said, I'm happy to give them a run for their money. I'm at 5235 at the moment.

K

Garrick said...

Katy,

What is the link for the challenge? Google has failed me miserably.

Anonymous said...

Check out http://www.nanowrimo.org/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=12213&forum=74

(Yes, that's on the Austin board.)

K

Garrick said...

Awesome. I signed up.

The Marylanders will pay a terrible price for their arrogance.

To victory,

G