Monday, November 06, 2006

Yesterday featured the titanic struggle between me and the tag team of writer's block and self-doubt. My mental image features me in a Godzilla suit getting knocked around by writer's block and self-doubt dressed as Rodan and Mothra. Or maybe Mecha-Godzilla.
Either way, as we smashed through the Tokyo of my novel, frantic, screaming adjectives ran all over everywhere in a blind panic.
I don't blame them. There was much carnage.
I'm starting to fear I've wasted this whole time on a subject that is more short story than novel, but last night I managed to squeeze some more information into the early chapters. It may stretch without breaking, but time and carpal tunnel will tell.
I've been compensating by writing especially terse emails at work. Leaving out the proper names of servers may be a bit confusing for the recipients until December, but we all have to make sacrifices, right?
I'm the only person I know whose book qualifies as "Speculative Fiction", but I'll hit the NaNoWriMo message boards later to see if I can find anyone else who is having some of the same issues I'm feeling related to time lines and technologies.
If not, I'll just talk smack about those losers in Maryland and return to churning prose, seemingly at random.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actual haiku I sent to someone yesterday:

working on NaNo
Oh my! Fifty thousand words
Lots of syllables

(I heart that we're hijacking Garrick's blog w/ haiku.)

Garrick said...

I prefer The Fib, but haikus completely rock as well.

Starting with one and zero:

1+0=1
0+1=1
1+1=2
1+2=3
2+3=5
3+5=8
5+8=13
8+13=21

For a twenty syllable masterwork.

5, 7, 5 is t3h L4M3!

I
can't
begin
to describe
how nerdy it is
to write poetry based in math!

Garrick said...

Who
knows
why we
started this?
So much time typing
My fingers bleed as I sob into my sparking keys.

Garrick said...

They
Have
Lasers
for their swords
silent ninjas rule
Oh, how I love the sneaky folk.

Garrick said...

Great Big Thesaurus
A lumbering beast of words
Can't it have a plot?