Tuesday, April 10, 2007

This post is late, but I've had a lot going on lately.
Okay. I've mentioned (among a chorus that seems to grow every day) That Joss Whedon's Firefly series was too awesome for network TV.
The Fox network killed it with poor scheduling and promotion and even Serenity (a movie that continues to win awards and growing cult status) was not enough to bring it back.
Aside from the movie and one episode of the TV series (Once More With Feeling -- and I remember it vividly though I watched it years ago) I totally missed out on Buffy the Vampire Slayer.
It seemed too violent to watch in front of a toddler, though the concept of a strong female lead was appealing for educational purposes (side note -- Mr. Whedon is no longer a part of the Wonder Woman film project currently in development, though I can think of no one else capable of making that character at all three dimensional) we just never tuned in.
It lasted seven seasons and prompted a bidding war when it jumped networks.
I've mentioned the Marvel comic created specifically for him, Astonishing X-Men, as the only X-title I currently read every time it comes out.
One of his early plot lines involved a cure for mutation -- an idea unapologetically stolen for the most recent X-Men movie.
His portrayal of these decades-old characters makes the X-Men fresh and yet familiar.
His strength seems to be solidly in the realm of human (and mutant and vampire) interaction and his dialogue is among the best, comfortably swapping adjectives for nouns and nouns for adjectives in a way that doesn't make my internal language arts instructor vomit.
And now, he is teaming up with some of the writers for the Buffy the Vampire Slayer TV show to make the never filmed season 8 in comic book form.
I've bought it, because I have a pathological need to support Joss Whedon, but I think I may have to NetFlix seasons one through seven before I read it.
My fear of not being able to catch up on a series about a cheerleader who fights vampires says a lot about my respect for Whedon as a writer, I suppose.
In other news, some co-workers and I microwaved a Marshmallow Peep Monday afternoon to watch it swell to the size of a basketball in twelve seconds before bursting and deflating sadly.
Should you wish to duplicate the experiment, your results may vary by wattage and Peep color.
This little guy was old-school yellow, for the record.
I'm told the flavor was intact at the end, even if the Peep was not.

No comments: