Wednesday, December 10, 2008

My Job Sucks

Last night, twenty minutes from the end of The Dark Knight on DVD, I got a call from work.
It seems some steps had been left out of the configuration for the migration for one of our clients from the old and broken system to the new and less-broken system.
Specifically, there was no network route established between their computers and ours.
And their address, since they were coming in on a private connection, was not routeable.
While I tried to force an impossible setting into our network equipment, I listened while the other people on the conference call discussed how hard it would be to get these users to test.
It was this discussion, and not the surprise call interrupting my evening to task me with doing the impossible, which helped me arrive at the revelation that my job sucks. And it isn't specific to my job, either.
I have to tell you, internet, your job sucks, too.
Unless you happen to be one of the seven users who got connected to our new system last night, that is.
These users work Monday through Friday from 10am to 5pm. Minus lunch. In Hawaii.
That's 30 hours a week separating them from all their time off in Hawaii.
The economy is so bad that every time I turn on the TV I see our President Elect practically begging for change and there are seven people working a total of 30 hours a week. In Hawaii.
At this point, I have no choice but to re-evaluate the life choices which led me to an always-on-call I.T. job in Columbia, South Carolina instead of to Hawaii where I could work 30 hours a week and sometimes call in sick to go to the beach.
It probably seems wrong of me to use this post to make everyone feel bad about their career choices. It seems that way because it is.
But I'm working way more than 30 hours a week, not in Hawaii, so screw it.

No comments: