Monday, May 04, 2009

May the Fourth

. . . Be with you.
It's Star Wars Day, officially.
Hot on the heels of Free Comic Book Day.
Thanks to everyone who thought to send a card. You guys are the best. With the holiday itself being wedged between the release of Wolverine and Star Trek, this whole time of year has taken on a feel of its very own.
Ancient people believed that the border between the realm of the living and that of the dead grew thin at the end of October and the beginning of May. This allowed ready commune with the spirit world at Halloween and May Day. It also created a secondary market for marshmallow peeps in spookier shapes, but that must be considered a side-effect.
This time of year, for geeks, is a lot like that.
Strange arcane energies are welling up from some dark basement of dorkiness to infuse the realm with Vulcan hand gesturing and long, drawn out debates about the fall of Anakin Skywalker.
As you can probably imagine, my very bones ache with the delicious not-pain of it.
Of course, it is starting to look like I'll be spending all of this coming week wedged up at work, hacking away at system settings and making registry information all line up like the government expects.
I'm cool with that.
I've got a ready supply of soda and almost unlimited access to action figures and companions who share my interests in speculative fiction.
This job requires an obsessive compulsive drive to make spreadsheets from different sources identical and an ability to multi-task into discussions of Klingon philosophy and Jedi platitudes. I, um, have that.
I'll Tweet as I'm able and post when time permits (which has a pretty good shot at being a lot, since I'll likely spend most of my time waiting, anyway).
Keep it geeky, internets.

No comments: