Thursday, March 09, 2006

I don't want these posts to become rant after rant after rant.

That said, today sucked for a number of reasons.
I've spent an awful lot of time this week working on broken crap belonging to the customer I'm not allowed to do anything with.
Today it was a completely busted server.
The "Account Care Team" Manager walked into my space this morning to ask about Ticket #40442 and what the status of the ticket might be.
I told him (after FINDING ticket #40442) that I hadn't looked at it as it was related to (company name deleted to comply with non-disclosure agreement) and I'm not allowed to work on their stuff anyway.
This server had been broken and unresponsive for (apparently) 4+ days. Ouch.
I immediately told "Mr. ACTM" that if he was just hearing about it, it must not be that important.
He was less happy about this than one would expect.
"Would you like me to go and look at the server?"

"Yes."

"If it is broken, would you like me to fix it?"

"Yes."

"If I have questions about the configuration or settings on the server, can I call the owner?"

"No."

In short, all technical questions have to get funneled through a non-technical interface. I can't even be in the room when the calls are made in the fear that I might make some noise and give away our top secret evil plans.

So, I wander back to where we keep these servers with a hearty, "There is an emergency. I'm NOT going to work on it." Wink wink.
I did NOT work on the server (a brand new IBM) for about 4 hours total. I did NOT fix it in the end. I DO care either way.

Morale is pretty low at work for everyone right now. There are new initiatives and bonus structures and programs rolled out almost weekly for the sales staff. The technical side seems to be shrinking as more and more people leave for more money or less crap.
The amazing thing I've noticed is that shared misery is a morale builder in itself. Bonds are formed quickly. With such a blinding turnover rate you would think the technical staff would be isolated and distant from each other, but I think friendships form quickly before people burn out or get voted off the island. That seems to happen more often than "proactive self-reassignment".

Also, I hit the new guy with a packet of that moisture blocking "do not eat" silica gel junk half a dozen times. Once or twice in the face, maybe. It was awesome.
"Take THAT! Newbie! PWN3D!"

No comments: