Saturday, March 25, 2006

Working from home is AWESOME!
I can drink decent coffee and stay in my sleep clothes! I can wander around and pet the cats! I can listen to streaming audio on the laptop (Go team stolen Sirius Satellite Radio!)!
But wait. . .
It's Saturday! I could have done all that without the working!
Today I'm fixing on the "Enterprise Mail Solution" for (company name deleted to comply with non-disclosure agreement), even though I'm really not allowed to. The solution arrived at by (company name deleted to comply with non-disclosure agreement) involves a few hours of downtime and a portable USB hard drive. What could possibly go wrong?
Let's find out, shall we?
Task one is to turn off the mail services and dismount the mail store. After that, I'm to copy this mail store to the USB drive (purchased earlier this week at Best Buy). Then I change the home volume of this mail store (every user in the company) and restart everything.
I'm going to point out right now that there are a few dozen better ways to do this and (were I allowed to speak to this customer) we would most certainly be doing one of those.
To summarize:
Working from home = w00+!
Working from home on a Saturday = teh L4M3

No comments: