Tuesday, April 11, 2006

So yesterday I showed up for my regular job at the regular time. I chose to ignore the whole text message transfer from Friday night. Then the OpenView guy showed up around 10am and asked why I was still doing Windows stuff. With a hearty, "Whatever," I packed up my stuff, shuffled across the hall, and began trying to fix some broken stuff with no idea of what the end result should be. Documentation? Here?
Just before lunch my manager wandered in, surprised to see me. Having been too drunk to recall authorizing my departure from the Microsoft team, he had assumed my packing and walking out was just my cute little way of quitting without killing anyone.
There were some discussions right then about what my proper role in the organization should be. As a side note, every time someone calls this place an "organization" I giggle.
The OpenView guy said there was too much to do on the OpenView side for one person so conscripting me is the best plan, while my manager requested that he stop whining and leave me to do what I'm supposed to be doing. At this point, I laughed long and loud, having not once done what I was hired to do EVER since coming to work here. We tabled the discussion for lunch.
The OpenView guy and I followed our manager to some odd gay cowboy bar for lunch. I guess all the normal gay cowboy bars are too crowded.
There was more discussion, some of it heated, and I had iced tea and some sweet potato fries which were both low carb and delicious. Raul, our waiter, kept complaining that my manager was "Bitchy."
Finally (for the moment) it was decided that I'm a Microsoft guy four hours a day and an OpenView guy four hours a day. Except that the company can't justify someone in a part time capacity in either role. Instead, I'll need to keep up the same level of productivity on the Windows side - while working four hours a day on OpenView. That sounds fair.

I got a call yesterday from someone who reads PrettyGeekyThing and was surprised that actual staffing decisions are made while completely trashed and announced via text message late at night. I want to clarify - yes they very much are, but sometimes they are rescinded over sweet potato fries at a gay cowboy bar in the middle of the day.

I've been notified that some "Media-types" will be touring the place sometime tomorrow, so I've gotten the request to get all the dead or dying hardware and atmospheric paperwork stashed away somewhere. I've spent five months piling it all up so that there is no room on my desk for anyone to drop additional work, and now I have to tidy. I've got it better than some of the desks in here, though. There are huge and broken monitors on a few desks and ancient (we think) macaroni and cheese was discovered in tupperware in the back of a file cabinet yesterday. I voted to just put it back there. Moving it now is just likely to upset it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you really supposed to get an 8 hour workday out of 4 hours?
D out