Wednesday, May 03, 2006

I've spent a large part of the past week trying to decide what I want to be when I grow up.
I'll never be an astronaut, I'll never be the President, and I'll never be a ballerina. I'm getting over that.
I've been fairly blunt with recruiters and I showed up for a job interview Monday unapologetically in jeans.
Yesterday my phone rang from 8am until almost 9pm, while I only took a break to partially destroy my wife's car and attend a book fair at my daughter's school.
So today I need to gather offers, do math in my head and accept one while replacing the car.
I'm all about the multi-tasking.
I'll lay it out for public opinion.
First, there is this place: Big damn State job. They called yesterday and told me that my salary expectations are at the top end of the range. I said, "ok."
"But we try to pay in the middle of the range," they said.
"Ok," I said,"But I'd like to be paid at the top end of the range you guys posted."
"Well, I'll ask," the HR person said.
"Great! Please let them know that I'm awesome." And Shana was in the car when I said it if there is any doubt.
I also reminded them that I'm the only person on the planet who understands in exactly which ways their environment is busted.
The second option is this place: Trauma Fest.
Apparently, they have re-worked the interview process. Or they are afraid of me. I went back in with the understanding that they have done a staff "refresh" (that sounds so minty) and they seem to have cleaned that up a bunch. And the technical interview was 18 minutes including the time to walk to and from the car.
On the other hand, an insider told me that he worked 55 hours last week and took most of Friday off because stuff became busted and the team I may join got blamed.
Also, I've heard they are balking at duplicating the original rejected offer. So they worked to get me back in, the guy from "the incident", and they may offer less than the original rejected offer?
That, my friends, is messed up enough to be interesting.
In third place, only because of timing, is an old manager who wants me to meet his technical team so that I can interview them. That sounds awesome, but the company seems to move very slowly which would leave me at the current job the longest.
Door #1, Door #2, Door #3 OR do I hang out at my current job so that I can watch them turn off the lights?
Plans for today include replacing a car while brutally negotiating terms of employment.

7 comments:

Darrell Davis said...

Your getting a new car? What did you do? I kinda like Door #3. Door #2 just sounds like too much fun for anyone to handle. Door #1 feels a little dirty, just some bad mojo, don't know why.

Anonymous said...

Garrick - what did you do to Shana's car????

Joe said...

Garrick ... you can still be a ballerina if you want to ... I believe in you.

And what the hell did you do to the Benz? You can't be the man and keep others down while driving a CRV!?!!?!

Anonymous said...

You guys should get Vespa's and be MOD's. Um, as far as ballerina... seriously man, i believe in you, too. Don't kill the dream... just sing some Irene Cara in your head maybe keep pondering... as for the jobs in question... if you are staying in this same muckfest field, i say #1...I mean a state job, you'd be so covered it's more secure than mafia life (or is it the same, can't remember)! 2 sounds like a dysfunctional family that will never make it to Jerry Springer.

Garrick said...

There was damage to the Benz. It isn't important to establish blame right now. We should stop worrying about the details and just get on with our lives. . . . right?
I can still oppress people. Especially if I land a big ballerina job. Snootiness is built right in to that action.

Joe said...

Crap ... now I have the song "Ballerina Girl" by Lionel Richie stuck in my head. Does that remind you of working at a radio station. "And coming up next, a superset of Celine Dion, Lionel Richie and Michael Bolton ...".

Not good times.

Garrick said...

Working overnights at a light adult contemporary station was a complete compromise of my most sacred core beliefs, but I could rollerblade through the halls there so this sucks more.
Tomorrow I'll bring rollerblades here to see if I can improve my current gig.
In short, challenge accepted.
Feel free to replace "Ballerina Girl" with the Chili's baby back ribs jingle.