Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Oddly, our intern didn't show up for day two of "The I.T. Experience". I suspect, years from now, he will look back on this missed opportunity with no small regret.
Given the position of his father at a major oil and gas company, he will most likely look back with regret from his heated leather chair in some corner office, though, so the regret will be fleeting.
As it turns out, the stuff we had him do yesterday (in addition to reading our Employee Code of Conduct) were not what he was expecting to do.
Normally, when an intern washes out, they spend the summer flipping burgers or (more likely) playing their X-Box 360 and getting stoned. In this case, since the guy's father is an important client, we were wrong to have him tidy cables and rack servers.
He was supposed to be learning business process from the I.T. side. However, most of that revolves around tidy cables and racked servers.
Obviously there was some miscommunication somewhere, but people are fairly upset that the guy opted out. If they can convince him to give us another chance, we are apparently supposed to put him in charge or something, even though he has never installed Windows at all and really has no idea what field he wants to concentrate on within the vast domain of all that is I.T. He just knows it isn't tidying cables and racking servers, I guess.
You know, the last time I swept the server room (regular maintenance people don't have access) my father (as far as I know) did not place an angry call to upper management. I'm sure he would have, but it never occurred to either of us that that might be an option.
So.
At what point do we stop catering to our children? Is sophomore year at MIT the proper time to let the little tyke sink or swim in Corporate America? I suspect (though my data gathering is certainly suspect) it should be sooner than that. I remember taking angry messages for my manager from bitter mothers about unfair scheduling choices that had been made regarding their children at a high school summer job, but this is an actual corporate internship.
I'm just a little freaked out by the whole situation. And our marked lack of flapjacks.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stupid, lazy n00b. You didn't even haze him properly.

I guess everyone coming into the workforce now is special and unique and entitled to start working at the middle, if not the top.