Thursday, May 03, 2007

Yesterday afternoon was a veritable Joss Whedon Fest at the comic book store.
I picked up the new Buffy the Vampire Slayer, the new Astonishing X-Men, and the new Runaways -- All are written by the esteemed Mr. Whedon.
At the risk of sounding like a weasel-like fanboy, Joss Whedon is infallible. The possibility of his doing a bad bit of work is as remote as I have ever seen anything get that can still be described as a possibility.
Joss Whedon strides among the writers of today as a wolf among dogs, with no need to even express his simple and justified contempt.
I cannot express how much I enjoy his writing . . . Not because I can't find the words. The words to express it simply do not exist in the English language, or any other currently spoken tongue.
Perhaps one day, archaeologists will uncover some long-forgotten picture-based language and advanced quantum computers will decode it into something which sounds like modern speech yet carries upon its gentle syllables a tangible power, an authority, a strength long missing from the common words of man. On that fateful day, the words of praise for Whedon will be uttered with the vigor they merit.
Until then, I like his stuff a lot. SRSLY.
On the subject of comics, Saturday (this Saturday, May 5th) is Free Comic Book Day.
If you don't have plans, you should definitely go.
If you do have plans, I've given you more than enough notice to fake an illness and wriggle out of those plans to attend Free Comic Book Day.
There is a store locator on the site in the link, so no one has an excuse.
During the day Wednesday, we needed to pack up more servers to ship to the Disaster Recovery site. The problem came when we discovered that someone had thrown away the form-fitting packing foam for them.
The solution came from the shipping department in the form of a roll of bubble wrap that was two feet wide and over waist high on me.
Of course, I felt the need to pop those thousands and thousands of bubbles, but I resisted the urge. I am, after all, a professional. I've come to expect that a lot of things that might look fun to play with may be important things that should not be. Blue LEDs are sometimes important LEDs.
What I did not expect was the effect this giant roll of bubble wrap would have on the people I work with.
From across the office, formerly mild-mannered co-workers from all business units would literally shriek and dash over to the bubble wrap to hop about the roll like demented rabbits, poking it with pens and fingers and laughing delightedly at the festive popping sounds.
Then they would universally straighten their outfits and continue about their business as though it had never happened.
But I took note.
And now I've posted it online.
And I rolled across the left-overs in my desk chair with professional enthusiasm.

No comments: