Monday, June 18, 2007

There was another swim meet Saturday, and this was our last for the season.
We had to get up at 5:30am, and while this is something I regularly do on a weekday there is something powerfully wrong about doing it on a Saturday.
It was so wrong, in fact, that I fell asleep under the team tarp, sprawled across the pavement like I'd been dropped there from somewhere really high up.
Shana had the decency to lift my head and place Gwynyth's robe under it. I didn't need it to help me sleep, obviously, but I suspect it made me look less drunk to the other parents, almost as though my nap were planned out.
Sunday we watched commercials all morning. We saw advertisements for Dodge, Dos Equis, 7-11 (Slurpee), Washington Mutual, Starbucks, Coca Cola and Home Depot. While this isn't anything that can be avoided in modern life, I appreciated the marketing people wrapping these ads in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. At one point, Reed Richards confirms that the Fantasticar does, as Johnny Storm suspects, have a hemi in it.
If I were kidding, that would have been an awesome joke.
And the chorus for every geek-reviewed comic book movie shall be sung now (join in, you all know it by now):

"But the special effects were good . . . "

And they fixed that whole Dr.-Doom-made-of-metal thing that has bothered me since last time.
Really. Since the last movie came out, I've lost sleep over that fallacy. Dr. Doom wears a metal mask, but he is not actually made of metal. I felt the first Fantastic Four writers glanced at a few comics and then concentrated on ways to get Jessica Alba naked.
Of course, that strategy worked from a financial standpoint, I must admit.
There was some discussion as we were leaving about how Johnny Storm's hair bothered me with its texture-free frizziness. My friend Joe rightly pointed out that any product The Human Torch used on his hair would ignite Michael Jackson style at the first "Flame On!" and probably not be worth the effort.
Yes, Galactus and the Silver Surfer and Dr. Doom all showed up and the Earth was almost destroyed -- And I was briefly distracted from the product placement by The Human Torch's bad hair.

"But the special effects were good . . . "

No comments: