Thursday, March 01, 2007

It looks like the great Daylight Saving Time move is going to destroy all hopes at productivity again today.
Apparently, appointments scheduled in the window of time between the old time change date and the new (and improved) time change are arriving at their destinations an hour early.
My test appointments for 10am are filling the 9am time slots of whoever gets them.
Applying the patch for Microsoft Outlook on my laptop moves the appointment up an hour on my calendar to match the recipient . . . And also moves their version an hour forward, allowing them to keep their edge (early bird and all) while simultaneously ensuring this meeting (were it real) would never happen.
Now, I'm all in favor of fewer meetings. However, for those members of our staff whose whole purpose seems to be the creation and attendance of various meetings this is causing quite a bit of distress.
Please understand, user distress is rarely a priority with me. Especially the mitigation of this distress. However, my boss likes to schedule meetings. And his boss likes to schedule them even more. The scheduling of meetings seems to grow in importance as one moves uphill.
Therefore, the importance of the correct functionality of the Outlook calendar rolls downhill . . . Along with various exclamation points and some bewildered-sounding profanity.
I totally blame the spotted owl.
As Dr. Phil would say, "You are only lonely if you aren't there for yourself." However, since I can only make appointments with the correct time if I am the only attendee, my tendency to skip meetings ensures that March may be very lonely indeed.

No comments: