Friday, March 30, 2007

There is a Buddhist saying that goes something like, "If you sit by the river long enough, eventually the body of your enemy will float past".
I've always liked that and, in fact, almost every saying which advocates inactivity.
Thursday we proved the wisdom of it.
A trouble ticket actually sat unresolved long enough for the user to find another job and move on with her life.
It wasn't that we didn't care. At least not primarily.

This has prompted me to take another look at other sayings like, "Fool me once, I need a nap" and "The early bird has time to sit around and can probably skip out in a bit" and "A penny saved is too far".
There is wisdom there, if we bother to interpret. I probably won't, because it might require effort.

Please stay with me through the topic change. I think it may be worth it.
Okay. In World of Warcraft (anyone still reading?) the game world is huge. To cut down on travel time, players are encouraged to visit a local Innkeeper (designated by the title "[Innkeeper]" under the name) to make an Inn close to where the adventure happens his or her temporary home.
There are other titles available for the non-player characters like "[Butcher]", "[Trade Goods]" and "[Banker]".
The only way for a player to have such a title is to join a guild. In that case, "[Guild Name]" appears under their character name.
Webinara formed a guild Wednesday night. If you are on the Duskwood server, look for anyone with "[Innkeepers]" under their name.
We like to hang out in Inns and stand really close to anyone labelled "[Innkeeper]" to confuse the n00bs.

Finally, Thursday my worst nightmares were realized.
I'd been getting the run-around from a software company when trying to deploy their application. I'd sent multiple emails and all the requested screen shots.
I got them on the phone and played a drawn out question and answer game until I finally posited that the installation of their security service, without an associated hard lock key, was causing a conflict with the stand-alone software key they had provided.
After a moment of stunned silence, one of the techs said, "Wait a minute. Are you trying to use the application or deploy it?"
I replied that I was installing it to deploy over terminal services.
There was some laughter on their end of the line, but a good-natured kind of laughter.
Then the second tech said, "We thought you were a user. We didn't know you were in I.T. Don't worry about it. We'll ship out a new key this afternoon."
And they did ship it. Almost immediately.
But I'd been mistaken for . . . One of them. What had I done to deserve that?
As always, my co-workers were supportive during my crisis:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

No comments: