Thursday, January 04, 2007

Please allow me to share with you the sad tale of Work Order #16,420.
For me, it started yesterday morning when a Project Lead emailed me. Actually, she forwarded me an email from one of her minions about not being able to log in.
"Does this user have a Citrix account?" was the question tacked up at the top.
I've gotten that question and variations of it for years and I still have to suppress the urge to lecture. Part of me (the smug and condescending part) wants to explain that "No, the user does not have a 'Citrix account'" and then to press on with "Nor do you or I have 'Citrix accounts' nor any other user in this company or any other company with a deployment of Microsoft Active Directory and 25% of a clue, Madam."
What I would like for them to understand is that Citrix uses the domain account, fully leveraging Microsoft's authentication. That knowledge, combined with an email from the user in question sent through a Microsoft Exchange email server (forwarded to me -- OMG) would provide instant, non-tech-hassling assurance that yes, the user -- by having the ability to send an email complaining about anything -- must have a 'Citrix account'.
But what I answered was, "Sure. I'll check."
But I didn't do anything through Citrix. Instead, as logic would dictate, I checked the domain.
The account was there.
The account was disabled.
There was a note on the account from a co-worker which read "Disabled 01-02-07 Work Order #16,420". I'd like to say my co-worker is awesome for leaving this note.
Anyway, I typed up a reply to the Project Lead which simply read, "The account has been disabled per Work Order #16,420".
Before hitting [Send], I decided to research this Work Order myself.
It was a standard request to disable the accounts of contractors who are no longer with the company. There were a few that were processed at the beginning of this month.
Work Order #16,420 (and I swear that is the actual number) was actually submitted by the same Project Lead who inquired the following day why one of the accounts wasn't working. Specifically, the 'Citrix account'.

No comments: