Friday, January 26, 2007

This morning I spent two hours in a high-level Disaster Recovery meeting. The presenter asked what it was that we all do with the qualifier, "I'm trying not to think of you as people."
She actually (even after my barking laugh) said this several times.
We are task lists in a process.
The end goal is to clarify the elephant for the blind, but the method, or at least the explanation, was a smidge jarring pre-coffee.
This meeting happened after I overheard a manager telling people, "In the event of an emergency, there are two exits to my rear." That seems to be the exact opposite of remaining calm, but I managed to suppress my giggle.
Yesterday I spent hours on the phone supporting various applications outside the realm of the DR project which is supposed to occupy all of my time for the next quarter. Hours wasted with little progress. The quiet successes are just that -- quiet.
Loud things are project delays. Those can get to be insanely loud for things with little to no activity.
In order to get back to it in a speedy manner, I'm closing this post with a Google Talk transcript from yesterday. I use Google Talk from work as MSN Messenger is frowned upon in addition to being awful bloatware.


Shana:
Looking forward to time with Webinara this evening?
Garrick: Nothing specific planned
I need to return with a severed head from some guy but there is no time limit. Unlike real life.
Those things go bad fast.
BRB
Shana: A head can weigh 25 pounds
Garrick: whose?
I wouldn't want to carry that very far
Plus, mess
They leak
Shana: I don't have specifics stats on heads
they just are a heavier part of the body
bone and brain and all of that
Garrick: and less edible
Shana: I could be wrong about the weight
[Google search implied]
sorry
"An adult human cadaver head cut off around vertebra C3, with no hair, weighs somewhere between 4.5 and 5 kg, constituting around 8% of the whole body mass."
Garrick: That is still as heavy as a bowling ball, but without the finger holes.
At least, in unmodified heads
Shana: yes it is about 11 pounds
which would likely account for between 8 & 10% of a person's body weight depending on the head
that is just the guess of an average head
Garrick: either way, it just goes in the backpack in World of Warcraft and doesn't even draw flies
I think I may just cut and paste this whole conversation for my blog post tomorrow

3 comments:

Joe said...

"In case of emergency, there are to exits to my rear."

The easy way and the hard way?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Okay, I feel better now.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all of that.

If you need someone to take the fall and go on a special list for truly questionable google searches about the weight of a human head or the like; you can count on me.

Today, I will work toward getting on the special list for research on images used in psychological testing.

Garrick said...

And I'll spice up our internet traffic report by downloading more girly cartoons. For Gwynyth.