Saturday, August 12, 2006

I have a stinking lot of logins to stuff. Pretty much if it is on the internet and requires a username and password you can bet that I've got an account.
I like the sites that let me log in with my email address because that is easy to remember. On the other hand, at least one of those has signed me up for free unsolicited stock tips.
At any rate, using the smae password for all of them is a horribly bad practice, but leaving a printed list stuck to a monitor or under a keyboard is almost as bad.
Sadly, I've seen this kind of account pile up escalate to past co-workers using a SpectorSoft keystroke logger just to keep it all straight.
While I think that is a bit much, and the shorter path is to drink less during lunch, this type of software can actually be a decent part of an online defense strategy for families.
I'm not one to endorse employee monitoring. Studies have shown that internet access at work increases productivity over all.
Children, however, should be monitored as though they got caught stealing from the Gap.
In the past, this type of tracking software was reactive. Often the logs are accessed after awful stuff has happened. The newer versions monitor for unsafe types of activity and email the parent (or if configured correctly text message the parent's mobile phone) immediately.
Overall, I'm impressed. Of course, as soon as they start offering a GPS tracking chip implant for little girls ours will be in line like we are waiting for another episode of Star Wars.
The newer stuff no longer requires a suspicious bit of hardware, either. It really runs pretty invisibly. I'd bet that even technically proficient and extremely paranoid kids could miss it.


No comments: