Sunday, August 13, 2006

Since I'm open to moving anywhere, I'm spending a lot of time online researching every geographic possibility.
While my current situation totally has us burned out on Houston, I fear that we are a bit spoiled when it comes to the amenities that come with living in the fourth largest city on the planet.
I have to examine everything. Starbucks per capita? The possibility of seeing live theatre from time to time?
I have a possibility in Phoenix currently and I've even been comparing the merits of the Phoenix Suns vs. The Houston Rockets. Did you know Phoenix has had a franchise for close to 40 years? Division champs this year, too. Hmmm . . . .
Most Google searches mention Charles Barkley a lot, but he has been off the roster since '96.
How much impact does a team have on the over all feel of a city?
I know when the Astros were doing great last year it gave the whole city a weird tingle. I also saw them choke in the last inning of a game against the Arizona Diamondbacks and saw the air sucked completely out of Minute Maid Park.
I know. It's hot. Like surface of the sun hot. But the fact that it is a "dry" heat makes a definite difference. Right? Right?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, when my dad lived in Arizona all the schools had boxing rings out back and if you got into a fight on school grounds you had to fight the kid in the ring and the principal decided when the fight was over, normally long after both fighters were ready to throw in the towel. Of coarse that was over a half a century ago, when the area was almost completely Indian and Latin.